- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 6 tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash of ground allspice
- 2 quarts beef broth
How to Make It
Layer potatoes, tomatoes, onion, turnip, carrots, peas, and rice in a 5-quart casserole; sprinkle sugar, salt, pepper, and allspice over vegetables. Pour broth over vegetables.
Cover tightly, and bake at 300° for 5 hours. Remove from oven, and ladle into individual serving bowls; serve hot.