Great soup. It's a regular on our family menu now!
Southern Italian Chicken Soup
This simple pasta dish gets some savory Southern flare with the addition of okra and black-eyed peas. In just under an hour, this succulent soup comes together for a flavorful autumn or winter favorite.
More From Southern Living
Total: 50 Minutes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 4 (6- to 8-oz.) skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (9-oz.) package refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Sauté first 4 ingredients in 2 Tbsp. hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Cook in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Cool slightly (about 5 minutes); cut into 1-inch pieces.
- 3. Add okra, black-eyed peas, and chicken to Dutch oven. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until okra is tender. Add tortellini, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until tortellini is done. Serve with Parmesan.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews