Southern Hoppin' John
Prep: 25 min., Cook: 18 min. Serve this traditional dish with cornbread and hot sauce.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup extra long grain enriched white rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas with jalapeño peppers, drained
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Garnishes: chopped fresh parsley, chopped tomatoes
- 1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Keep warm.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion, and sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in peas and next 5 ingredients. Cook 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Fold mixture into hot cooked rice. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes