- 1 pound multicolored baby carrots with tops
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 (10-oz.) package fresh red pearl onions, peeled and halved
- 2 cups small fresh broccoli florets
- 2 jalapeño peppers, sliced
- 1 (8-oz.) package sweet mini peppers
- 1 medium-size fresh fennel bulb, sliced
How to Make It
Trim tops from carrots, leaving 1 inch of greenery on each; peel carrots. Cut carrots in half lengthwise. Bring vinegar, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, molasses, mustard seeds, and peppercorns to a boil in a medium-size nonaluminum saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugars and salt dissolve. Reduce heat to medium; add carrots and onions, and simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Place broccoli and next 3 ingredients in a large heatproof bowl; pour hot vinegar mixture over vegetables. Cool completely (about 1 hour). Stir occasionally while mixture cools.
Transfer vegetables to 2 hot sterilized 1-qt. jars, using a slotted spoon and filling to 1 inch from top. Pour cooled vinegar mixture from bowl into a liquid measuring cup with a pour spout. Pour enough vinegar mixture into jars to cover vegetables, and discard remaining vinegar mixture. Cover with metal lids, and screw on bands. Let stand 24 hours before using. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.