- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup dry chicken-flavored stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely shredded Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 4 large boned chicken breast halves with skin
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose baking mix
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Canola oil
- Roasted Red Pepper-and-Vidalia Onion Gravy
How to Make It
Stir together first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Place chicken, skin side down, between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a mallet or rolling pin.
Spread one-fourth of cream cheese mixture on skinless side of each chicken breast half; top with 1 piece of bacon. Roll up chicken, jellyroll fashion, lifting skin and tucking roll under skin.
Whisk together egg and milk in a bowl. Combine baking mix, Creole seasoning, and pepper in a shallow dish. Dip chicken rolls in egg mixture; dredge in baking mix mixture.
Pour oil to depth of 2 inches in a large skillet; heat to 350°. Fry chicken rolls, in batches, 10 to 12 minutes or until dark brown and done, turning chicken rolls often. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels.
Spoon 1/4 cup Roasted Red Pepper-and-Vidalia Onion Gravy on each of 4 individual serving plates; top with 1 chicken roll. Drizzle with remaining gravy.