Southern Fried Chicken
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 (2 1/2- to 3-pound) broiler-fryers, cut into 16 pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups milk
- Hot cooked rice
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; dredge in flour. Set 3 tablespoons flour aside.
- Heat oil to 375° in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Brown 4 chicken pieces for 12 to 15 minutes. Drain well on paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
- Drain oil from skillet, reserving 3 tablespoons pan drippings in skillet. Add reserved flour to pan drippings, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk to mixture in skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Serve gravy with chicken and hot cooked rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes