Southern Fried Catfish from Grits and Groceries
Photo: Oxmoor House
- CREOLE SEASONING
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups masa harina (corn flour)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 3 pounds farm-raised catfish fillets, cut into 4- x 2-inch strips
- Parchment paper
- Pickled vegetables
- Sliced tomatoes
- 1. Prepare Creole Seasoning: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well.
- 2. Prepare Catfish: Preheat oven to 300°. Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a 4- to 5-qt. Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat to 350°.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine cornmeal, masa harina, and 3 tablespoons Creole Seasoning in a large bowl, reserving remaining seasoning for another use. Stir seasoning mixture well.
- 4. Whisk eggs in a large bowl; whisk in milk and mustard. Dip fish in egg mixture; dredge in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- 5. Fry fish, 8 pieces at a time, 2 minutes on each side. Drain fish on paper towels. Transfer fish to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in oven; keep warm at 300° until ready to serve. Serve with pickled vegetables and sliced tomatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note