- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon anise extract or 1⁄2 tsp. anise seeds, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose fl our
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon or orange rind
- 1/4 cup finely chopped blanched almonds
- 1 (6-oz.) can whole natural almonds
- Granulated sugar
How to Make It
Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add brown sugar, beating well. Add egg, anise extract, and almond extract, beating well.
Combine flour and next 8 ingredients; stir well. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in chopped almonds.
Divide dough in half. Shape 1 portion into a ball; knead 3 or 4 times until smooth. Roll dough into a 9-inch square on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cut dough into 36 (1 1⁄2-inch) squares. Press a whole almond into center of each square. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
Bake at 325° for 25 minutes. Cool slightly on baking sheet, and sprinkle with sugar while warm; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Break cookies apart, and store in airtight containers.