This is a fantastic and really easy corn bread recipe. I make it all the time since I discovered the recipe a few months ago. I didn't make the bourbon butter per the recipe (I didn't have any bourbon on hand) but I used another alcohol and it was tasty - but not really necessary. And the recipe paired well with the chili I made the first time I tried it. Mmm Mmm.
Southern Corn Bread with Molasses-Bourbon Butter
"Corn bread is on the menu when we visit my grandmother. She swears by her cast-iron skillet, but you can also prepare this recipe in an eight-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Molasses, creamy butter, and bourbon combine to make a delicious spread." -KKD
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 231
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Carbohydrate: 33.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 349mg
- Calcium: 118mg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces)
- 1 1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add buttermilk and egg; stir just until combined.
- Place an 8-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven for 5 minutes, and remove from oven. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons butter to pan; swirl to melt and lightly grease pan. Stir melted butter into batter. Add batter to preheated pan. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan. Slice into 8 wedges.
- Combine remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, molasses, bourbon, and rind in a small bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined (about 1 minute). Serve butter with warm corn bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This