Southern Black-Eyed Peas
- 4 cups fresh black-eyed peas
- 4 -5 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a 5 quart Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Cook onion, celery and garlic in bacon drippings until tender; add broth, salt, pepper and peas. Bring to a boil and skim top if necessary.
- Lower heat to simmer; crumble bacon and add to peas.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, cover and simmer until peas are tender (30 minutes to 1 hour depending on how tender you like them).
This recipe is a personal recipe added by cindiemiller11 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note