The chicken was amazing! The combination of flavors was fantastic. I agree that the rice was a little disappointing... but paired with the chicken plain rice would have been fine.
Southeast Asian Roast Chicken with Coconut Rice
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 376
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 38.3g
- Carbohydrate: 22.9g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 723mg
- Calcium: 24mg
- 1/2 cup whole fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 Thai bird chile, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3 3/4-pound) roasting chicken
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 (2 x 1/2–inch) julienne slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. To prepare the chicken, place first 7 ingredients in a food processor, and process until finely minced.
- 3. Discard giblets and neck from chicken. Pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Spread cilantro mixture under loosened skin. Lift wing tips up and over back, and tuck under chicken.
- 4. Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 1 1/4 hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°. Cover chicken loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin.
- 5. To prepare rice, combine rice, 1 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, sliced ginger, cinnamon stick, and coconut milk in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Remove and discard ginger slices and cinnamon stick. Serve with chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This