Southeast Asian Rib Eye Steaks
The anchovies and dry mustard in the marinade for these steaks add a salty, almost umami-like flavor to the meat.
More From Food & Wine
Total: 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 4 (about 3 1/2 pounds) rib eye steaks, cut 1-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 10 anchovy fillets, minced
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Season the steaks with salt and let them stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the dry mustard, brown sugar and warm water and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Spread the paste on both sides of the steaks and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Bring the steaks to room temperature. Light a grill. Grill the steaks over moderately high heat for about 3 minutes per side, until they are nicely charred outside and medium-rare within. Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note