South-of-the-Border Layered Dip
Notes: You'll find mole paste at Latino markets or in the international section at supermarkets. Serve dip with assorted sliced raw vegetables.
Yield: Makes about 4 cups
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 13
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 0.7g
- Fat: 0.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 0.7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sodium: 49mg
- Cholesterol: 0.7mg
- 2 teaspoons olive or salad oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons mole paste or 1 tablespoon chili powder
- About 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1/4 cup green salsa or green taco sauce
- 1/3 cup (1 3/4 oz.) crumbled feta cheese
- 1. To a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, add oil, onion, and garlic. Stir often until onion is tinged golden, about 4 minutes. Add mole and 1/2 cup broth. Stir to incorporate mole and cook until most of the liquid evaporates, about 4 minutes more; remove from heat.
- 2. Add beans, mashing about half of them to thicken the mixture. If mixture is too thick for dipping easily, stir in 1 tablespoon broth at a time until mixture is the desired consistency. Spread bean mixture 3/4 inch thick on a serving platter; set aside. (If making ahead, cover and chill until next day.)
- 3. In a food processor or blender, combine the cilantro, chilies, and salsa. Whirl or grind until mixture forms a paste as thick as pesto. Occasionally scrape paste from sides of container down into blade area. Spoon cilantro mixture over center of beans.
- 4. Distribute cheese over the spread; surround with sliced vegetables.
- Nutritional analysis per tablespoon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
South-of-the-Border Layered Dip Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Dips/Spreads
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, Southwest
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Beans, Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Carbohydrate, Low Cholesterol, Low Saturated Fat, Gluten-Free
- COOKING METHOD: Blender, Food Processor
- OCCASION: Cinco de Mayo, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day
- PUBLICATION: Sunset
More Recipes for Appetizers