- 2 teaspoons olive or salad oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons mole paste or 1 tablespoon chili powder
- About 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1/4 cup green salsa or green taco sauce
- 1/3 cup (1 3/4 oz.) crumbled feta cheese
- calories 13
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- protein 0.7 g
- fat 0.4 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- carbohydrate 0.7 g
- fiber 0.5 g
- sodium 49 mg
- cholesterol 0.7 mg
How to Make It
To a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, add oil, onion, and garlic. Stir often until onion is tinged golden, about 4 minutes. Add mole and 1/2 cup broth. Stir to incorporate mole and cook until most of the liquid evaporates, about 4 minutes more; remove from heat.
Add beans, mashing about half of them to thicken the mixture. If mixture is too thick for dipping easily, stir in 1 tablespoon broth at a time until mixture is the desired consistency. Spread bean mixture 3/4 inch thick on a serving platter; set aside. (If making ahead, cover and chill until next day.)
In a food processor or blender, combine the cilantro, chilies, and salsa. Whirl or grind until mixture forms a paste as thick as pesto. Occasionally scrape paste from sides of container down into blade area. Spoon cilantro mixture over center of beans.
Distribute cheese over the spread; surround with sliced vegetables.
Nutritional analysis per tablespoon.