I just have to rate this chicken because it was SO good! It is so hard for me to get my husband to even eat grilled chicken, but this one he gets excited about! I used a medium-heat store bought salsa and tasted it before putting the juice on the chicken. I decided it was just a little "blah" and not so "fresh" tasting so I added some lime juice, fresh cilantro and a few fresh sliced jalapenos for a little kick. I served this with black beans and quinoa and grilled corn on the cob. I also made some guacamole to top it off like another reviewer since my local store doesn't carry queso fresco and it was just the right thing to cool the dish down a bit. I'll be making this again!
South-of-the-Border Grilled Chicken and Green Tomatoes
The shortcut marinade begins with the flavorful drained liquid from the salsa. Choose a fresh juicy salsa with chunks of tomatoes and onions, which you can find in the deli or produce section of your supermarket, rather than a thick, tomato sauce-based product. Serve with tortillas.
More From Oxmoor House
Chill: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 314
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 43.7g
- Carbohydrate: 8.7g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 588mg
- Calcium: 115mg
- 1 (16-ounce) container fresh salsa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 green tomatoes, each cut into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled queso fresco
- 1. Drain salsa in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid. Set salsa aside.
- 2. Combine reserved liquid, oil, salt, and pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken and tomato to bag; seal and shake gently to coat. Chill 30 minutes.
- 3. Prepare grill.
- 4. Remove chicken and tomato from bag, reserving marinade. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; pour reserved marinade over chicken. Place tomato slices on grill rack. Grill chicken 6 minutes on each side or until done. Grill tomatoes 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve chicken with tomatoes; top with reserved salsa and queso fresco.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note