South Carolina Gumbo
Okra imparts a rich flavor to the gumbo and aids in its thickening as it simmers. It's also what gives this gumbo its Southern name.
Yield: Makes 10 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 cups okra, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2-oz.) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup instant rice, uncooked
- Heat oil in a stockpot. Add onion, celery and green pepper, saute over medium-high heat until tender. Add chicken and remaining ingredients except rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Add rice and simmer 15 more minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note