I have been using this marinade for years on steak and chicken. If you are a chipotle freak like me than you will love it. It is a little spicy for my 11 yr old so I back off on some of the chipotle
South American Flank Steak
On the first warm spring evening of the year, Ashley Lowe craved something grilled. She pulled ingredients from her refrigerator and created this spicy steak with a refreshing hint of orange. PREP AND COOK TIME: About 1 1/2 hours.
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 196
- Calories from fat: 51%
- Protein: 17g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 261mg
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- 2 oranges (8 oz. each)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh cilantro, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup (half of a 7-oz. can) chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1 1/2 lb.), rinsed and patted dry, fat trimmed
- 1. Squeeze juice from 1 orange and pour into a food processor or blender. Add garlic, cilantro, chiles and their sauce, oil, vinegar, cumin, coriander, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whirl until finely puréed.
- 2. Place steak in a 1-gallon zip-lock plastic bag. Pour cilantro-chipotle mixture over steak and seal bag. Chill at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- 3. Lift steak from marinade (discard marinade) and lay on an oiled barbecue grill over a solid bed of medium-hot coals or medium-high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 3 to 4 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook steak, turning every 4 to 5 minutes, until browned on both sides and done to your liking in center of thickest part (cut to test), about 12 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer steak to a rimmed board or a platter. Let rest 3 to 5 minutes.
- 4. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Also slice remaining orange. Serve steak with orange slices to squeeze over servings, and add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes