This is the best stuffing I've ever had. Strong flavors without being excessively heavy. I recommend cutting the bread up on the smaller side so you get a better blend of ingredients.
Sourdough Stuffing with Pears and Sausage
Sourdough bread gives the stuffing a tangier flavor than French bread, but you can use the latter in a pinch.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 199
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 10.7g
- Carbohydrate: 28.6g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 684mg
- Calcium: 54mg
- 8 cups (1/2-inch) cubed sourdough bread (about 12 ounces)
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage
- Cooking spray
- 5 cups chopped onion (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled Bartlett pear (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 9 minutes or until golden. Place in a large bowl.
- Remove casings from sausage. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage, and cook for 8 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add sausage to bread cubes, tossing to combine. Set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; sauté 10 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Stir in mushrooms; cook 4 minutes. Stir in pear, basil, tarragon, and salt; cook 4 minutes or until pear begins to soften, stirring occasionally. Add pear mixture to bread mixture, tossing gently to combine. Stir in broth and pepper.
- Place bread mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; cover with foil. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake stuffing an additional 15 minutes or until top of stuffing is crisp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables