Sourdough, Sausage, and Greens Dressing
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 351
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 11g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 8.7g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 666mg
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- 3/4 pound sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 qt.)
- 1/2 pound Swiss chard
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- About 2 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery, including tops
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves or 2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 1 3/4 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1. Put bread cubes in a 9- by 13-inch pan. Bake in a 350° oven, stirring occasionally, until dry and firm to touch, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse and drain chard. Trim and discard discolored stem ends; thinly slice stems and coarsely chop leaves.
- 3. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir sausage often until browned and crumbly, 5 to 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to pan with bread.
- 4. Measure fat in the 5- to 6-quart pan; add enough butter to make 3 tablespoons. Add onion and celery. Stir often over medium-high heat until vegetables are limp, about 10 minutes. Add chard and stir often until limp, about 3 minutes.
- 5. Combine bread mixture, parsley, sage, poultry seasoning, pepper, and chicken broth with chard mixture. Squeeze with your hands until evenly moistened. Return mixture to the 9- by 13-inch pan, spread level, and cover tightly.
- 6. Bake in a 350° oven until dressing is hot in the center, about 40 minutes (45 to 50 minutes if chilled). For a crusty top, uncover for the last 20 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables