Sourdough Panzanella with Grilled Chicken
Community Recipe from batesballard22. In this classic Italian salad, sourdough bread soaks up the flavors of fresh herbs, late-summer tomatoes, and a savory vinaigrette. Adding grilled chicken turns it into a full meal. For balanced texture, be sure to slice the tomatoes, cucumbers, chicken, and bread about the same size. Finish off the meal with a creamy Blackberry Fool for dessert. Recipe from Fine Cooking 112. Submitted on July 7, 2011.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 cup(s) olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 4 3/4 inch-thick slice(s) sourdough bread
- 1 teaspoon(s) finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) smoked sweet paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound(s) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed
- 3 tablespoon(s) red wine vinegar
- 1 anchovy fillet, rinsed
- 1 small clove(s) garlic
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into 3/4 inch pieces (3 cups)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 3/4 1. inch pieces (1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped fresh mixed herbs,such as basil, parsley, cilantro, or mint
- Prepare a medium-high charcoal or gas grill fire. Clean and oil the grill grate.
- Brush the bread on both sides with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Grill the bread until well marked, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a cutting board, cut into 3/4-inch cubes, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the oregano, smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle evenly over the chicken breasts. Grill, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of each breast registers 165° F, 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 5 minutes, and then cut into 3/4-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil and the vinegar. Press the anchovy fillet and garlic clove through a garlic press into the bowl (or mince by hand). Add the bread, chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and herbs, and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note