- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups Sourdough Starter(at room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Combine sugar, shortening, and salt in a large mixing bowl; add Sourdough Starter, and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Gradually add flour, stirring until dough leaves sides of bowl. Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk (dough will be sticky). Punch dough down, and let rest 5 minutes. Turn dough out onto a floured surface; divide in half.
- Grease a baking sheet; sprinkle with cornmeal. Set aside.
- Roll each half into a 12- x 10- inch rectangle. Roll up jellyroll fashion, beginning at wide edge. Place dough, seam side down, on baking sheet; turn edges under. Cover and repeat rising procedure 25 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Cut several diagonal slashes, 3/4-inch deep, in top of each loaf. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This