Dress up Thanksgiving dinner with Sourdough-Apple Stuffing. Feel free to swap rye bread for sourdough, if desired.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 409
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Sodium: 662mg
- 8 cups 1/2-inch cubes sourdough bread (about 1/2 of a 1 1/2-lb. loaf)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and diced (about 3 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake until pale golden and dry, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. On medium-high heat, warm oil in a large skillet and cook sausage, breaking up meat and cooking until sausage starts to brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Add onion and celery; continue to sauté until vegetables are soft and sausage is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in herbs and raisins. Add broth, scraping up browned bits on bottom of skillet. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir in apples and bread. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in egg. Spread in prepared baking dish. Drizzle with melted butter.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and crispy on top, about 50 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note