This is one superb soup. I would add a few more ingredients, maybe pea pods, napa cabbage or bok choy, sweet red pepper etc just to give it some interest,color and body. The way the recipe reads might be a good 1st course however. Definetly make it again..the flavors sing!
Sour and Spicy Shrimp Soup
This fiery soup originated in the central and southern regions of Thailand. The key to the recipe is the flavorful broth, made by combining canned chicken broth, shrimp shells, chiles, and seasonings. After the mixture cooks for 30 minutes, it's strained and the seasonings are discarded. Look for dried japones chiles in your supermarket or through produce companies such as Melissa's (800-588-0151 or www.melissas.com).
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 135
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 17.9g
- Carbohydrate: 6.6g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 1118mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 dried japones or arbol chiles
- 3 (15.75-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 10 thinly sliced peeled fresh galangal pieces or 7 slices peeled fresh ginger, lightly crushed
- 6 kaffir lime leaves or 2 1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 4 bird chiles or serrano chiles, lightly crushed
- 4 cilantro stems, lightly crushed
- 2 stalks chopped peeled fresh lemongrass, lightly crushed
- 2 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Peel the shrimp, reserving 6 shells; set shrimp aside. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the japones chiles and shrimp shells; sauté for 3 minutes or until the chiles are blackened. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Add galangal and next 5 ingredients (galangal through shallots). Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Strain soup through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Return soup to pan. Increase heat to medium-high. Add shrimp and fish sauce; cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note