Sour-Rye Pumpernickel Bread
- 1 cup warm water (100°-110°)
- 1 1/4 ounce packet highly active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons browning and seasoning sauce
- 1 cup Sour Starter
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 200°. Stir together first 3 ingredients in the mixing bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add coffee and next 4 ingredients to yeast mixture. Add 2 tablespoons browning and seasoning sauce and 1 cup Sour Starter to dough; mix with with dough hook attachment at medium-high speed with a heavy duty stand mixter 5 minute.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; shape dough into a 9- x 5-inch oval loaf. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet; coat lightly with cooking spray, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Turn oven off, and place loaf in oven. Let rise 30 minutes or until loaf is doubled in bulk. Remove loaf from oven. Remove and discard plastic wrap. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake bread for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven, and brush with melted butter. Cool on wire rack.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Kitchen Bouquet sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads