I tried this cake and it did take 1 hour and 40 minutes to bake. I would also not use the almond extract and use vanilla only. The cake did drop when removed from the pan, will try it again with a few changes. How did the time change so much from 1 hour and 10 minutes??
Sour Cream Pound Cake
More From Southern Living
Stand Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup shortening or butter
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Stir together 1 container sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda; set mixture aside.
- Beat 3 cups sugar and 1 cup shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Stir together 3 cups flour and salt. Add to egg mixture alternately with sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.
- Toss together sliced fresh strawberries and remaining 1/4 cup sugar; let stand 30 minutes. Serve pound cake with sliced strawberries and sweetened whipped cream.
- Grilled Pound Cake: Bake and cool pound cake as directed. Brush 2 tablespoons melted butter evenly over both sides of 6 (1 1/2-inch-thick) pound cake slices. Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted. Serve pound cake with sliced fresh strawberries and sweetened whipped cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts