This is a good lighter version of a pound cake. It is a little more dry, but is easily enhanced with some macerated berries and whipped cream. The outside crust of the cake is so tasty!
Sour Cream Pound Cake
Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Slice into a lighter pound cake recipe that has all the flavor of a traditional one. Low-fat sour cream brings moistness and taste without so many calories.
Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 250
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 41.9g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 170mg
- Calcium: 25mg
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups egg substitute
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- Fresh blackberries (optional)
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Gradually add egg substitute, beating well.
- Combine sour cream and baking soda. Stir well, and set aside. Lightly spoon cake flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and salt. Add flour mixture and sour cream mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into a 10-inch tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Garnish with blackberries and mint, if desired.
- Note: Eight egg whites can be used in place of egg substitute. Add one at a time to sugar mixture.
- Lemon: Add 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind.
- Coconut: Decrease vanilla to 1 teaspoon; add 1 teaspoon coconut extract.
- Almond: Decrease vanilla to 1 teaspoon; add 1 teaspoon almond extract.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings