While this came out moist, it had no flavor at all. Maybe it would be better as a side with something other than chicken, but as it stands now, we will not be making this again.
Sour Cream Cornbread
Stir in finely diced jalapeño peppers to give this cornbread an added kick of heat.
This recipe goes with Farmhouse Eggs Benedict
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 224
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Carbohydrate: 36.1g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 403mg
- Calcium: 102mg
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14.75-oz.) can low-sodium cream-style corn
- 1 (8-oz.) container light sour cream
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) 2% reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in oven 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir together cornmeal mix and flour in a large bowl; add corn and next 3 ingredients, stirring just until blended. Pour batter into hot lightly greased skillet. Top with cheese, if desired.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 22 to 24 minutes or until golden brown and cornbread pulls away from sides of skillet.
- Note: Nutritional analysis does not include cheese topping.
- Mix It Up! You can also use Sour Cream Cornbread in this recipe--just omit the cheese topping.
- Farmhouse Eggs Benedict: Prepare 1 (0.9-oz.) envelope hollandaise sauce mix according to package directions, using 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk and 2 Tbsp. lemon juice and omitting butter. Cut 4 cornbread wedges in half lengthwise, and toast under the broiler. Top 2 toasted cornbread halves with 1 low-sodium ham slice, 1 poached egg, and 1 Tbsp. hollandaise sauce. Repeat with remaining cornbread. Makes 4 servings.
- Per serving: Calories 334; Fat 12.9g (sat 5.1g, mono 3.7g, poly 1.2g); Protein 19.9g; Carb 34.9g; Fiber 2.6g; Chol 297mg; Iron 3.1mg; Sodium 896mg; Calc 78mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads