I'm a southerner and come from generations of southerners who grew up making cornbread. This recipe is outstanding, easy to make, and very flavorful. If you want a little extra, add some diced jalapenos to the mixture. Keep in mind, this is not a sweet cornbread. As is, my hubby said it was the best cornbread he's ever had, and I have to agree. Today will be my third time making it over the last month.
Sour Cream Cornbread
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Buffy Hargett
Stir in finely diced jalapeño peppers to give this cornbread an added kick of heat.
This recipe goes with Farmhouse Eggs Benedict
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 224
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Carbohydrate: 36.1g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 403mg
- Calcium: 102mg
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14.75-oz.) can low-sodium cream-style corn
- 1 (8-oz.) container light sour cream
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) 2% reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in oven 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir together cornmeal mix and flour in a large bowl; add corn and next 3 ingredients, stirring just until blended. Pour batter into hot lightly greased skillet. Top with cheese, if desired.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 22 to 24 minutes or until golden brown and cornbread pulls away from sides of skillet.
- Note: Nutritional analysis does not include cheese topping.
- Mix It Up! You can also use Sour Cream Cornbread in this recipe--just omit the cheese topping.
- Farmhouse Eggs Benedict: Prepare 1 (0.9-oz.) envelope hollandaise sauce mix according to package directions, using 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk and 2 Tbsp. lemon juice and omitting butter. Cut 4 cornbread wedges in half lengthwise, and toast under the broiler. Top 2 toasted cornbread halves with 1 low-sodium ham slice, 1 poached egg, and 1 Tbsp. hollandaise sauce. Repeat with remaining cornbread. Makes 4 servings.
- Per serving: Calories 334; Fat 12.9g (sat 5.1g, mono 3.7g, poly 1.2g); Protein 19.9g; Carb 34.9g; Fiber 2.6g; Chol 297mg; Iron 3.1mg; Sodium 896mg; Calc 78mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads