Was a very good cake!!! Would make again! :)
Sour-Cream Chocolate Layer Cake
Yield: 10 Servings
Cost per Serving: $1.05
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 053
- Fat: 75g
- Saturated fat: 45g
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 98g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 370mg
- Sodium: 286mg
- Chocolate cake:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- Bittersweet-chocolate frosting:
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 sticks (1/2 lb.) unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces, at room temperature
- 2 ounces dark and white chocolate shavings for garnish, optional
- Position a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (9-by-2-inch) round cake pans.
- Make chocolate cake: In a glass measure, whisk together cocoa and boiling water until smooth. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together butter, sugar and vanilla until well-blended (mixture will be dry). Add eggs one at a time, beating well on medium speed after each addition. Scrape down bowl. Reduce speed to low and beat in flour mixture in 3 parts alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour, just until blended, scraping bowl when halfway done. Add cocoa mixture and blend. Evenly divide batter between pans.
- Bake cake for 30 minutes or until a tester inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cakes on racks for 20 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks; remove pans. Let cakes cool completely.
- Make bittersweet-chocolate frosting: Melt chocolate in a double boiler, whisking until smooth. Whisk in 2 Tbsp. water. Set aside. In another double boiler, cook sugar and egg yolks, whisking, until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm, 3 minutes. Whisk sugar mixture into chocolate mixture; stir in vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 3 minutes. Beat in butter, 1 piece at a time, beating until smooth.
- Assemble cake: Place 1 cake layer right side up on a serving plate. Spread 1 cup chocolate frosting evenly on top. Place remaining cake layer on top; frost cake all over with remaining frosting. Garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note