Sour Cream Chocolate Cake
Community Recipe from
- 1/4 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup(s) boiling water
- 2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) butter softened
- 1 cup(s) sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 5 egg whites
- 2 16 oz cans chocolate frosting**
- 3x chocolate buttercream frosting
- Preheat oven to 350*, grease and flour 2 9 inch round cake pans.
- Combine cocoa powder and boiling water in bowl and stir until cocoa is dissolved, about 30 seconds.
- Combine the sugar and butter in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add the cocoa mixture and mix for 1 minute longer. Beat in the sour cream, vanilla, and baking soda. Add the flour and salt. Mix for 1 minute more. ( if using organic turbinado sugar, it will take longer to cream the sugar and butter)
- Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form, 2-3 minutes. Fold into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the cake pans and bake till a toothpick comes clean, 25-28 minutes. Cut each cake layer into 2 even layers for 4 layers total. Spread the frosting between the layers and over the top and side of cooled cake.
- ** substitue chocolate buttercream frosting for the canned frosting
- For Black Forest Cake
- eliminate frosting.
- Whip 2 cups heavy cream until stiff. Spread 1 cup of whipped cream between each layer. Top each layer of whipped cream with 1/2 cup canned cherry pie filing. Frost top of cake with remaining whipped cream.
- For less fat and sugar:
- reduce sugar to 1 3/4 cups
- replace butter with 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce and 1/4 cup veg. oil
- use lowfat sour cream ( I use plain greek yogurt)
- replace 1/3 cup flour with whole wheat flour.
- instead of frosting, layer and top the cake with 4 cups fresh berries or other sliced fruit.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by carolynjgardner and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note