Soupe au Verte with Goat Cheese Toasts
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 422
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 43.3g
- Carbohydrate: 29.3g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 78mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 706mg
- Calcium: 169mg
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 pound fish bones
- 2 bacon slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold or red potato
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen green peas
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 8 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled goat cheese
- 8 (1/2-ounce) slices French bread
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Remaining ingredient:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- To prepare stock, combine the first 7 ingredients in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Strain stock through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare the soup, wipe pan dry with a paper towel. Cook bacon in pan over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble and set aside. Increase the heat to medium-high; add butter to drippings in pan, and melt. Add 2 cups onion, potato, 1 cup carrot, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt; sauté 5 minutes. Add wine; cook until the wine is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 8 minutes). Add stock and peas; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until potato and carrot are tender. Cool slightly. Place half of vegetable mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Process until smooth, scraping sides. Pour pureed vegetable mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture. Strain vegetable mixture through a sieve into pan; discard solids. Stir in half-and-half and chopped mint; cook over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle fish with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place fish on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.
- Preheat broiler.
- To prepare the toasts, spread butter and goat cheese evenly over bread slices. Place on baking sheet. Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts. Sprinkle the toasts evenly with 2 teaspoons parsley and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place 1 fillet in each of 8 shallow soup bowls. Ladle 1 cup soup over each fillet; sprinkle evenly with bacon and 2 1/2 tablespoons parsley. Serve each with 1 toast.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews