Notes: Soup can be made up to 2 days ahead. Reheat, covered, over high heat. Transport in a thermos or a tightly covered container in an insulated chest. Carry pistou in a separate covered jar.
Sunset DECEMBER 1998
1. In an 8- to 10-quart pan over high heat, bring broth to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, cut skin from butternut squash. Cut squash, carrots, potato, and celery into 1/2-inch cubes.
3. Add butternut squash, carrots, potato, celery, onion, and garlic to boiling broth. Cover, return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cut zucchini and red bell pepper into 1/2-inch cubes.
5. Add zucchini, bell pepper, basil, and beans to broth. Cover and return to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until all vegetables are tender when pierced, about 20 minutes longer.
6. Stir 1/4 cup pistou into soup, then ladle soup into bowls or mugs. Add salt and pepper and more pistou to taste.
Go to full version of