Soupe A L’Oignon (French Onion Soup)
Who doesn’t love French Onion Soup? Who thought it could be modified to lower sodium and saturated fat and still be delicious? Here you go…a few modifications a couple decades later and it’s still a crowd-pleasing dish.
Have your Gruyere sliced thinly at the deli. If you’re at home with a block of cheese, use the side of a cheese grater that gives slices or use a vegetable peeler, then piece together the cheese over the baguette slices to create a slice. A soup that is normally high in sodium and sat fat thanks to consommé and tons of cheese with this recipe that pulls together pantry ingredients in a dish fit to serve guests.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 46 Minutes
- Calories: 295
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 12.6g
- Carbohydrate: 33.9g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 609mg
- Calcium: 281mg
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices French bread baguette
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 cups thin vertically sliced onion (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (32-ounce) box 100% fat-free, 50% less-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, cut into 4 thin slices
- 1. Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and pepper; cook, uncovered, until deep golden brown (about 35 minutes), stirring frequently. Sprinkle onion with flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth, water, and wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce; stir well.
- 2. Preheat broiler to high.
- 3. Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan; broil for 2 minutes or until toasted, turning after 1 minute.
- 4. Divide soup evenly among each of 4 broiler-safe soup bowls. Top each serving with 1 bread slice and 1 cheese slice. Place soup bowls on jelly-roll pan; broil for 4 minutes or until tops are golden brown and cheese bubbles.
This recipe was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note