- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices French bread baguette
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 cups thin vertically sliced onion (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (32-ounce) box 100% fat-free, 50% less-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, cut into 4 thin slices
- calories 295
- fat 10.2 g
- satfat 6 g
- monofat 3 g
- polyfat 0.6 g
- protein 12.6 g
- carbohydrate 33.9 g
- fiber 4.3 g
- cholesterol 31 mg
- iron 1.5 mg
- sodium 609 mg
- calcium 281 mg
How to Make It
Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and pepper; cook, uncovered, until deep golden brown (about 35 minutes), stirring frequently. Sprinkle onion with flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth, water, and wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce; stir well.
Preheat broiler to high.
Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan; broil for 2 minutes or until toasted, turning after 1 minute.
Divide soup evenly among each of 4 broiler-safe soup bowls. Top each serving with 1 bread slice and 1 cheese slice. Place soup bowls on jelly-roll pan; broil for 4 minutes or until tops are golden brown and cheese bubbles.
This recipe was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.