- 1 1/2 pounds whole cleaned skinless squid tubes
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 13 fresh red Thai chiles, stemmed
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 3 large peeled shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- calories 263
- fat 2.6 g
- satfat 0.6 g
- monofat 0.2 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 28.1 g
- carbohydrate 30.9 g
- fiber 1.1 g
- cholesterol 396 mg
- iron 1.8 mg
- sodium 466 mg
- calcium 75 mg
How to Make It
Score squid by making 4 (1/2-inch) crosswise cuts in each tube.
Combine bell pepper and next 4 ingredients (through ginger) in a food processor; process until finely ground. Stir in sugar, soy, black pepper, and salt. Combine squid and 2/3 cup chile mixture in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 3 hours, turning bag occasionally. Reserve remaining 2/3 cup chile mixture for dipping sauce.
Preheat grill to medium heat.
Remove squid from bag; discard marinade. Arrange squid in a single layer on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill for 2 minutes on each side or until charred and squid begins to curl around edges. Serve with reserved sauce.