Excellent! I left the Sopressata out to make the recipe vegetarian. It was a hit with guests--the whole loaf disappeared.
Sopressata-Asiago Beer Bread
This savory quick bread pairs well with soup or chili and is ideal for an open house or casual get-together.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 154
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 21.2g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 301mg
- Calcium: 89mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 13.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Italian lager beer (such as Peroni)
- 2 ounces finely chopped Sopressata salami
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallots and green onions to pan; cook 10 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper and garlic; cook 1 minute.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; make a well in center of mixture. Add onion mixture, cheese, and beer to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Stir Sopressata salami into batter.
- 4. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5–inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle 1 tablespoon butter over batter. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon butter over batter. Bake an additional 25 minutes or until deep golden brown and a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads