- 1 pound veal sweetbreads
- 1/2 pound veal brains
- 1/4 pound beef suet
- 1 1/2 pounds veal kidneys, cut into small pieces
- 1 pound veal heart, cut into small pieces
- 1 pound calves liver, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 3 drops hot sauce
- Salt to taste
- Place sweetbreads and brains in a medium mixing bowl; cover with cold water. Set aside to soak for 1 hour. Drain well; remove and discard membranes. Chop brains, and set aside.
- Place sweetbreads and water to cover in a small Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Drain well, and rinse with cold water. Cool completely. Chop; set aside.
- Heat beef suet in a large Dutch oven over low heat until crisp. Remove beef suet, and discard; reserve beef suet drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add kidney, heart, and liver to Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Add sweetbreads, brains, beef broth, onion, tomatoes, hot sauce, and salt to taste. Simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours or until meats are tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This