I enjoyed a meal of Scallops w/grapefruit sauce in a local restaurant so much I came home to search for a similiar grapefruit sauce. This grapefruit sauce is very close to what I had. It's a very good, delicate sauce and very easy & quick to make. I served the sauce with sauteed Orange Roughy, white rice (which was delicious with the sauce) and roasted aspargus. The sauce would be great with any type of white fish, scallops and even shrimp. Definitely will make again. Turns an everyday meal into something special.
Sole with Grapefruit-Thyme Butter
Master a savory reduction that pairs well with mild fillets. Pink grapefruit juice adds tart flavor to a rich sauce of white wine, fresh ginger, and thyme. Mix in sections at the end to add body to the reduction and make sure to get a piece with each bite of fish to enjoy top flavor.
- 2 pink grapefruit
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 (3- to 4-ounce) sole fillets
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- Grate zest from 1 grapefruit to make 1/2 teaspoon; set aside. Peel and section grapefruit, and set aside. Juice remaining grapefruit to make 1/4 cup juice; set aside.
- Heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle fillets with salt and pepper. Cook in batches, adding more oil if necessary, 2 minutes on each side or until done. Transfer to a plate, cover, and keep warm.
- Combine reserved grapefruit juice, wine, and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat, and cook until reduced to about 1/4 cup. Remove from heat; whisk in 6 tablespoons butter. Stir in reserved grapefruit sections and zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve fillets topped with Grapefruit-Thyme Butter.
- Wine pairing: A Fumé Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, or crisp Chardonnay will complement any citrus-seafood dishes (perhaps served with a tossed green salad and crusty French bread) for a light, refreshing supper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes