Sole and Mushroom Casserole
Notes: Bake the sole while the potatoes cook; keep it warm for a few minutes while you mash the potatoes and make the sauce.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 354
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Protein: 39g
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Sodium: 673mg
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Mushroom Essence
- 1 pound boned, skinned sole fillets, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons cream sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds thin-skinned potatoes, rinsed, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- About 1/2 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Pour one recipe's worth of Mushroom Essence through a fine strainer into a 4- to 5-quart pan; discard the ginger. Put mushrooms in a shallow 10- to 11-inch oval casserole (about 2 1/2 qt.). Add 1/2 cup green onions, capers, sherry, soy sauce, and ginger to mushrooms; mix and spread level. Lay sole fillets evenly over mixture, overlapping if necessary. Cover casserole tightly with foil.
- 2. Bake sole in a 375º oven until fillets are opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part, about 15 minutes.
- 3. While sole bakes, add potatoes and tarragon to mushroom broth. Bring to a boil over high heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are soft enough to mash easily, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes in a strainer over a bowl. Pour liquid back into pan and put potatoes in the bowl.
- 4. Uncover sole and drain juices into pan. Boil liquid over high heat until reduced to about 3/4 cup, 4 to 5 minutes. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and stir into boiling liquid; stir until boiling again, and remove from heat. Turn oven to broil.
- 5. Meanwhile, with a potato masher or a mixer, mash potatoes until smooth, adding enough milk for desired texture. Push sole and mushrooms toward center of casserole to leave a 1-inch space around the edge. Spoon potatoes (or pipe through a pastry bag with a large plain or star tip) into space. Pour sauce over sole mixture. Sprinkle potatoes with cheese.
- 6. Broil about 4 inches from heat until cheese is very lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup green onions. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles