Soft-Shell Crab Sandwiches with Spicy Rèmoulade
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Linda Hirst
More From Coastal Living
- Vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 4 soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 (6-inch) rolls or baguettes, split and toasted
- Spicy Rèmoulade
- Green leaf lettuce leaves
- 8 thin tomato slices
- 1. Pour oil to depth of 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch in a large skillet; heat to 375°.
- 2. Whisk together egg and buttermilk in a shallow bowl. Stir together cornmeal mix and seasoning in another shallow bowl.
- 3. Dredge crabs in flour, dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture. Cook crabs in hot oil, in batches, 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. Spread insides of rolls with Spicy Rèmoulade. Layer with lettuce, tomato slices, and fried crab.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note