Community Recipe from
- 2 1/4 teaspoon(s) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon(s) granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) baking soda
- 1 - In a large bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Warm 1 1/2 cups water in the microwave until it registers 120F - 130F on a thermometer. Add the water the 1 tablespoon oil to the flour mixture. Using a electric mixer, beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- 2 - Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add 2 cups flour (1/2 cup at a time), mixing until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in 1/2 cup of the remaining flour until dough is smooth (adding more flour if sticky), about 5 minutes.
- 3 - Coat a large bowl with the remaining tablespoon oil. Place the dough into the bowl, then turn so it oiled-side up. Cover with a clean towel and let rest in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
- 4 - Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Punch down the dough and cut into 8 pieces. With lightly floured hands, roll each piece into a 1/2-inch rope (about 30-inches long). Working with one rope at a time, shape the pretzels. Make a U shape and, holding each end of the rope, cross them over and twist them around each other twice, then press onto the bottom of the U (dot with water to help the ends stick). Place on baking sheep. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- 5 - Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet, bring 5 cups water and the baking soda to a simmer. Drop 2 pretzels (top down) into the water and simmer for 30 seconds; flip and simmer 30 seconds more. Using a large spatula, transfer back to the baking sheet. Sprinkle with desired toppings. Repeat with the remaining pretzels.
- 6 - Bake, switching the position of the pans halfway through, until dark golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by YUMMY80 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Soft Pretzels Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Snacks
More Recipes for Main Dishes