Slow-cooking the polenta in a double boiler gives it a light but creamy texture without needing to stir or whisk. If using instant polenta or grits, decrease cooking time and follow package directions.
This recipe goes with Soft Polenta with Wild Mushrooms and Parsley
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 cup polenta or whole-grain grits
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 1/2 inches water in a large saucepan until simmering. Combine milk, salt, and nutmeg in a large metal mixing bowl, and place over simmering water until mixture is hot.
- Stir polenta into hot milk mixture, whisking until blended. Cover with foil, and cook over medium-low heat 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and stir in butter and Parmesan cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note