Soft Ginger Cookies
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour, plus 30 minutes to stand. Notes: Store these chewy ginger cookies airtight for up to 3 days.
Yield: Makes about 28 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 228
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 2.6g
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 189mg
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat oil and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and applesauce until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour, ginger, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Stir or beat into brown sugar mixture until well blended. Let dough stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 3. Shape dough into 1/4-cup balls and set 2 1/2 inches apart on buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 4. Bake in a 350° oven just until cookies begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. Using a wide spatula, transfer the cookies to racks to cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This