This was great. I oven roasted a chicken breast seasoned with garlic salt, ancho chili powder, and cumin seasoning at 375 for 25 minutes, let it cool then chopped it vs. shredded it. I didn't have iceberg so I used some shredded napa cabbage instead. Omitted the water in the black beans to make it a bit thicker. Prebroiled the tortillas for 3 minutes then loaded them up with the beans/chicken/cheese. Delicious. And surprisingly filling.
Soft Black Bean Tostadas
This hearty Mexican meal has countless variations. Prepare the salsa and bean spread separately for snacks, roll the tortillas burrito-style, or make this dish vegetarian-friendly by omitting the chicken.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 410
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 25.3g
- Carbohydrate: 47.7g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 858mg
- Calcium: 264mg
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Remaining ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) preshredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- Preheat broiler.
- To prepare salsa, combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Toss gently, and set aside.
- Combine 2 tablespoons water, lime juice, cumin, salt, ground red pepper, and black beans in a blender; process until smooth.
- Place tortillas on a baking sheet, and spread about 1/4 cup black bean mixture evenly over each tortilla. Top each evenly with 1/4 cup chicken and 3 tablespoons cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts and tortilla edges are just beginning to brown.
- Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup lettuce, 1/4 cup salsa, and 2 tablespoons sour cream. Cut each tortilla into 4 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note