- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- Dissolve soda in buttermilk; stir well. Combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle buttermilk mixture evenly over flour mixture, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 4 to 5 times.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 475° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads