Although all the ingredients are excellent, this just seemed flat to us and the flavors overwhelmed by the soba. Chicken, soba and mushrooms are all very mellow flavors, Maybe a dash of lime or brown sugar , or oyster sauce, or something with a bit of sharpness was needed in the sauce. I won't make this again.
Soba Noodles with Broccoli and Chicken
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Melanie J. Clarke
Use chicken broth in place of the sake for a nonalcoholic version. Toasted sesame seeds sprinkled over the finished dish make a flavorful garnish.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups chicken mixture and 1/2 cup noodles)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 357
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 30.1g
- Carbohydrate: 43.2g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 810mg
- Calcium: 61mg
- 6 ounces uncooked soba (buckwheat noodles)
- 1/4 cup sake (rice wine) or dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 3/4 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 3 cups quartered mushrooms
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup (1-inch) red bell pepper strips
- 1 tablespoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Combine sake and the next 4 ingredients (sake through crushed red pepper) in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; stir-fry 4 minutes or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and sesame oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and remaining ingredients; stir-fry 4 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Return chicken to pan; stir in sake mixture. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve over noodles.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note