This recipe was a hit for our family Christmas Eve. I added 1/4 tsp. of peppermint extract to the glaze for an additional flavor. It was wonderful.
Snowy Chocolate Baby Cakes
Make these mini chocolate cakes by starting with a devils' food cake mix and baking in muffin pans. The festive holly garnish is simply red cinnamon candies and fresh bay leaves.
More From Southern Living
Other: 35 Minutes
- 1 (18.25-oz.) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Winter White Glaze
- Garnishes: red cinnamon candies, fresh bay leaves*
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat first 6 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer just until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium, and beat 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth, stopping to scrape bowl as needed. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured (12-cup) muffin pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 20 to 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 3. Arrange cakes upside down on a serving platter. Spoon Winter White Glaze over cakes (about 1 Tbsp. per cake), spreading with a spatula to thoroughly cover cakes. Garnish, if desired.
- *Fresh mint leaves may be substituted.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Devil's Food Premium Cake Mix.
During testing, we found that muffin cups ranged from 2 1/2 to 3 oz. each. The size you have will determine your yield.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note