Take pie crust, combine it with a yeast bread, and you get this tasty cookie! So many cookies tend to be overly sweet, but this one is perfect, and so pretty with the sparkling sugar on top. Expect to get about 30 cookies from the batch, not the 40 listed in the recipe.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
Chill: 30 Minutes
Bake: 10 Minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 (1/4-oz.) envelope active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk (100° to 110°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Sparkling sugar
- 1. Stir together first 3 ingredients. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 forks until crumbly.
- 2. Whisk together yeast and warm milk. Let stand 10 minutes. (Mixture does not foam.) Stir in egg and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Divide dough into fourths; wrap each portion in plastic wrap, and chill 30 minutes.
- 3. Roll each portion of dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a flat surface lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Cut dough with a 3 3/4-inch snowflake-shaped cookie cutter. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks, and let cool completely.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note