This was a really great use of leftover brown rice. I didn't have any pork so I left it out. My only comment is that I felt the 2C of onion was a little overpowering. I will decrease the amount next time I prepare this dish.
Snow Pea-and-Pork Fried Rice
Photo: Howard L. Puckett; Styling: Fonda Shaia
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 345
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 18.8g
- Carbohydrate: 50.7g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 236mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 2 (4-ounce) boned center-cut loin pork chops
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 2 cups snow peas
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cooked long-grain rice, chilled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- Trim fat from pork chops; cut pork into 2- x 1/4-inch strips. Combine pork, soy sauce, and sherry; cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes. Drain; discard sherry mixture.
- Combine egg whites and egg in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Place a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add egg mixture; cook 2 minutes or until egg is done. Remove egg mixture from skillet.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon oil to skillet. Add pork; stir-fry 2 minutes or until done. Remove pork from skillet; keep warm. Add 1/2 teaspoon oil to skillet. Add sliced onion and snow peas; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, ginger, and garlic; stir-fry 1 minute. Remove onion mixture from skillet, and keep warm.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to skillet; add rice, and cook 1 minute without stirring. Stir in egg mixture, pork, onion mixture, and salt, and stir-fry 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle each serving with about 1 tablespoon green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes