I was not able to find red snapper in my area, so I used tilapia like several others have mentioned. I thought the flavors all worked pretty well together and I enjoyed the chipotle cream (I did not seed the pepper). Others have mentioned the filling being wet or soupy, but I avoided this problem by making sure I let it cook uncovered at the end until most liquid had evaporated. For leftovers, I heated the fish mixture in a tortilla (quesadilla-style) in the skillet until it was warm through.
Snapper Tacos with Chipotle Cream
Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
The fish cooks on top of the vegetables in one skillet. Break the fish into chunks to finish the filling.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 taco)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 340
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 28.1g
- Carbohydrate: 38.1g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 896mg
- Calcium: 108mg
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomato, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound red snapper fillets, skinned
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
- Combine sour cream, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and chile; set aside. Combine 1/2 cup onion and 1/2 cup tomato; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup onion, 1 cup tomato, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, and minced garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cilantro. Arrange fish over onion mixture in pan; cover and cook 3 minutes. Turn fish; cover and cook 2 minutes. Break fish into chunks. Stir in rind and juice; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup fish mixture and 1/4 cup reserved onion mixture; top each serving with 2 tablespoons chipotle cream. Fold in half or roll up.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes