I was not able to find red snapper in my area, so I used tilapia like several others have mentioned. I thought the flavors all worked pretty well together and I enjoyed the chipotle cream (I did not seed the pepper). Others have mentioned the filling being wet or soupy, but I avoided this problem by making sure I let it cook uncovered at the end until most liquid had evaporated. For leftovers, I heated the fish mixture in a tortilla (quesadilla-style) in the skillet until it was warm through.
Snapper Tacos with Chipotle Cream
The fish cooks on top of the vegetables in one skillet. Break the fish into chunks to finish the filling.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 taco)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 340
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 28.1g
- Carbohydrate: 38.1g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 896mg
- Calcium: 108mg
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomato, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound red snapper fillets, skinned
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
- Combine sour cream, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and chile; set aside. Combine 1/2 cup onion and 1/2 cup tomato; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup onion, 1 cup tomato, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, and minced garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cilantro. Arrange fish over onion mixture in pan; cover and cook 3 minutes. Turn fish; cover and cook 2 minutes. Break fish into chunks. Stir in rind and juice; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup fish mixture and 1/4 cup reserved onion mixture; top each serving with 2 tablespoons chipotle cream. Fold in half or roll up.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes