- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 3 (1 lb.) loaves frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 green, pimento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 (12 oz.) jars roasted red and yellow peppers, in oil
- 3 large celery ribs, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 cups pitted black and green olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces arugula
- 1 pound thinly sliced prosciutto
- 3 pounds fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/4 large red pepper, for tongue
- calories 721
- fat 41 g
- satfat 18 g
- protein 33 g
- carbohydrate 50 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 96 mg
- sodium 1 mg
How to Make It
Cover a large (12-by-18-by-2-inch) baking pan with parchment; dust lightly with cornmeal. On a floured surface, combine dough and form a long, curvy snake shape; place on pan. Push two olives into head for eyes. Cut V-shaped scales down back. Brush dough with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake until crust is golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool in pan on rack.
Remove roasted peppers from jars and set aside. Add olive oil to oil from peppers to make 1 cup. Combine oil, celery, olives, capers and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
Slice loaf horizontally. Place bottom half on tray; arrange arugula leaves on it. Layer on prosciutto and mozzarella, top with roasted red peppers. Spoon on olive relish and replace top.
Cut a forked tongue shape from red pepper and place at head.